Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Running in the rain

Well, in the past week, I've had my very first run in the snow (fun!), my very first run in the mud (wow, hard work!) and my very first run in the pouring rain (not so fun). So glad it was only a short run tonight, timing worked out that I had to run outside despite the fact that it was pouring. It was supposed to be a tempo run but since I was running laps around my neighborhood I decided to .5 mile intervals, running them at ~10 minute miles. (Slow for some folks...pretty fast for me.)

The first interval went pretty well, .5 took me 5:12. I then recovery-walked for .14 miles, and the next .5 took me 4:59 (awesome!). .14 miles for recovery and then just bonked. By that point I was soaked completely, it was hard to see because of the rain, and I was splashing gigantic puddles; I couldn't do another .5, so I did .25. Timing went okay, did it in 2:45, so a little slower than I wanted, but I apparently lost a bunch of time in my walk breaks - I walked one more .14 and finished the run. My first mile went out at 11:10, which was about where I was hoping to do my second mile going into tonight's run, but my second mile came out at 12:40. I'm not really sure what happened, because this should have been challenging but doable, and that second mile was just...sub par. I really think it was the rain, I felt heavy and hindered. I still came out at an 11:50 average, which isn't horrible, but I did a 5 miler last week with that average - for speedwork I should have been faster. Hopefully next week's speedwork goes better.

Lessons learned from running in the rain:

1) If you have to carry your phone, do it in a ziplock baggy. (Oops. Luckily my phone is fine, but the rain was heavy enough that my water resistant jacket just couldn't cope.)

2) Examine your clothing for any holes. I didn't notice one until I got undressed afterwards - the wet fabric chafed through the hole in my pants so badly I have a patch of raw skin on my inner thigh. Fun.

3) Not a great opportunity for speedwork - I would have enjoyed this run so much more if I'd slowed down and used it as a short recovery run. Lesson duly noted.


Looking forward to tomorrow's run - I had planned 5-6 but just realized since my daughter is off of school and I'll be on the treadmill I may have to use tomorrow for a 4 miler, as I never manage to log many miles on it. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment