Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What's this - a run?

After a week of no running, I finally got out there for a run today. I of course picked the day with a windchill of 5, but hey. You gotta run when you gotta run!

I felt bad missing so many runs over the past week, but the fatigue and morning sickness have really just honestly kicked me in the butt. Hard. Apparently I was hit hard by fatigue my last pregnancy too, but in a lovely bit of fatigue-induced blur, I don't remember it :D My husband does though...I've gone to bed so early lately, and have just had no energy at all. I've tried to go for runs and just didn't have the energy even once I was out there. My usual rule is do a mile and if I'm still not feeling it I go back and cut it to a 2 mile run, because 99% of the time I'm fine once I get going. But this week I couldn't even make it to a mile - my energy level was really just that low.

Today though I woke up and finally felt human! *cue air punches* I had been hoping to do at least 5 - I ended up doing 4 though, and I don't feel bad. I did great the first 3 miles and the fourth mile was just really hard, my energy flagged hard and morning sickness forced me to walk a few times. Despite that the mile came out to 13:17 so it wasn't awful, but I knew I was done.

I think I'm going to have to let go of mileage goals for the most part, at least until my energy gets better near the second trimester. It's incredible how much harder* running is right now - it boggles my mind because the baby is the size of a blueberry right now. You'd think having a blueberry inside you wouldn't make it any harder to run, logically, but between constant nausea, exhaustion, and just running being /harder/...I'm going to have to do something really hard for me, and try to be flexible. I love training plans. I love ticking runs off a list and racking up my goal mileage. I love it. It works for my ocd little brain and gives me the biggest sense of accomplishment - but the flip side is right now, it's making me feel like a failure.

And I refuse to feel like a failure, because I know so many women don't even try to run while pregnant. Hell, so many people don't even try to run, end of story. I am trying. No, I am doing. And if I am more limited now than I was a month and a half ago, so be it. I will try to do more long runs with my husband, because I think that'll give me the support mentally to push through long runs. But if I can't make one of my three weekly runs, I won't beat myself up. If I can't do 6 miles and do 4, well okay then. I know that every mile is good for me and every mile is good for Baby Marathon.


*And oddly, I don't just mean harder because I'm tired. My heart is beating harder, sooner, and faster. It's weird, but I can feel that it's physically more strenuous to run right now. That's part of why I cut a mile off my run today; I didn't want to be pushing my HR right now.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post. It's interesting to read about the differences in running while pregnant (even the changes you experience carrying a blueberry-sized baby!). Anyway, it sounds like you are taking a good, conservative approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Conservative isn't my forté honestly...my brain wants to push, but I know that's not the best plan right now!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I remember how much harder everything felt when pregnant! I like your idea to go by time, rather than miles. Also, I found breathing did get easier in the 2nd trimester. Great job getting out in such cold temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed by it! I was so inactive with my daughter's pregnancy so this is different and wow, I feel like a baby complaining but it is, lol!

      That's good to know! I was so surprised by that. Thank you - and thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hey, found our blog from chicago runners...
    Great post! Definitely awesome job pushing through these freezing temps.

    anyways, i am running easter egg and lincoln. hope to see you out there!!!

    www.nicolekesten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And ooh! -bookmarks your blog- Glad to see someone else doing those two, I'm looking forward to both of them a lot!

      Delete