Sunday, March 31, 2013

Egg Shell Shuffle Recap & Light at the end of the tunnel

Before I get to the fun part of this post (recapping the Egg Shell Shuffle 5K!) let me just say - my mileage this month stunk. The fatigue was so bad, but there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel. I've had more energy both to do domestic house stuff and to get out and run. I haven't had a long run in about two weeks, but my last one was a full 13.1 so I'm feeling pretty okay for the Lincoln Half next weekend.

Being pregnant does affect my pace; I force myself to slow down, and sometimes that saps the fun out of it a little bit, but I know it's for the best. But pregnancy has added some other factors I didn't think about:

1) I can't run fasted right now. I used to run early in the morning with nothing in my stomach on days I ran before my husband went to work - I pretty much rolled out bed, got dressed, and ran.

I tried that this week and was starving half a mile in - when I got home, I had a dizzy spell. Yikes! Note to self: Eat breakfast first, dummy.

2) I need to eat more often on long runs. I used to eat half a pack of sports beans every half hour or so - I've started eating 1/4 pack every 15ish minutes and it's doing a better job keeping my blood sugar even AND keeping me hydrated, which both have been bigger issues during runs lately. It's sort of a pain to eat more often, but I feel better during the runs if I do.

3) Pushing it on runs really is a no-no. Even though Marathon is now more than a blueberry - we're up to peaches this week! - the baby is still pretty small, but pushing it too hard on a run leaves me literally feeling ill. I need to relax and run for fun, and ditch my competitive side - but it ain't easy. But here's a bonus picture of M just to break up the wall of text:

Marathon at 13w0d - and looking like a baby! (That's the umbilical cord by the way...not a gender indication!)

Sorry I haven't updated much lately, I haven't had many runs (well, as many as I wanted) and I've been really bummed about it. I didn't want this to become a downer blog, so I just refrained from posting. (Even though Kim told me I should anyway! :) )


And now the fun part - the Egg Shell Shuffle 5K! I feel like I signed up for it FOREVER ago, and I kind of did because I wasn't pregnant at the time...so that's forever enough, right? When I was initially looking at the race, I looked at it because it gave medals to both 5K and half runners. (I'm a bling whore, I'll admit it. I like medals!) I was thinking of signing up for the half just because I felt a little bad getting a medal for a 5K even though I have the half marathon in Springfield the following weekend, and as a bonus, it would have been entry into Half Fanatics. But my aunt, uncle, and two teenage cousins actually ended up signing up for the 5K, so I did it with them for a family thing. (It was everyone's first 5K! YAY!) Serendipity - I don't think my pregnant body could do two half marathons in two weeks.

Babygirl and I picked up the packet yesterday and I'll admit to being a little depressed - two weeks ago my regular running clothes all fit to varying degrees of snugness. When I tried the running shorts on that came in the packet (because the shuffle gives shorts instead of a shirt) they were awesome shorts - actual nike shorts instead of just cheap athletic shorts - and they cut into my belly. I could get them up, but they weren't just uncomfortable - they actually hurt my stomach.Let me just say - that caused a minor panic, because while yes, I wasn't pregnant when I listed my size, all of my regular running clothes are the same size. I hadn't run this week in my regular clothes - I'd been testing out the maternity skirt, but hadn't planned to run in it during the race - so I flew to try on my regular race gear.

See where this is going? NONE of it fit :( Looked like I'd be running in the maternity skirt (which was fine, really) and stretching out one of my nice shirts I'd planned to save. The maternity panel on the skirt was my saving grace or I'd have been flashing under belly (not an attractive look even when not pregnant!) I knew I had popped because even strangers could tell I was pregnant, but it happened so fast I didn't really realize how much my belly had changed.

But I cobbled together an outfit and laid it out for the next morning, after posting a whinging shot to FB first:

Two weeks ago, my stomach was FLAT! Where did this bump come from!? (Excuse the bathroom shot, my husband was sleeping and refused to wake up and help me out. Hmph!)


And in the morning, off we went to Schaumburg. After a couple stops at the portopotties (pregnancy...going just once isn't enough...) and meeting up with my aunt/uncle and the cousins, it was time to run. The half had started at 8:45 but I didn't get there til 9 because the 5K wasn't until 9:15 - I was pleasantly surprised that the 5K started right on time. The weather was a pleasant surprise too - it's been frigid out, but yesterday the weather smiled and it was a sunny 55. I even had cause to regret long sleeves, not that I had a choice!

I ran the entire first mile and clocked a 10:45 mile. I'll have to look because that might be my fastest 1mile. (Yes, I know, don't go out too fast! But I knew the end of this course was yucky in taped off loops, or so I thought, and I always find those frustrating so I wanted to bank some time.) The first mile was totally flat and easy to find empty patches to run in, so I really enjoyed myself. I passed my two cousins, who had zoomed out super fast and teased my older cousin about having something rattling in her race bag (I'm still not sure if she had candy or ibuprofin in there, but it rattled when she ran, poor kid!) The end of the first mile brought the first turnabout and my first walk break, because while I can run the entire time, I know how much better my abs handle it with short walk breaks. Around a mile and a third I passed my aunt and uncle who were on their way to the turnabout, and I was off. The rest of mile two flew by, or so it felt, although I actually clocked an almost-12. I'm not sure why I was so slow there - I think it must have been chatting with my cousins, because I don't really remember anything else that should have slowed me down. I do remember consciously slowing a little bit because I was really eager and didn't want to push, so it's possible I overcompensated here - I'm not sure. Right at mile 2 I saw my husband and daughter spectating and they snagged this pic:


This is what pregnant running looks like - apparently, I smile and run with my eyes closed. I hate this shot because I look big rather than pregnant, but hey - I know the real deal, right?

Mile 3 was just as flat as the first two, but it was a lot more crowded because the path narrowed about a half mile in. I won't blame my end time on that, but I will say I got really frustrated. It was a little narrower than a sidewalk AND it turned back about halfway (so the course went out for mile one, turned back and went straight for about 1.5 and then turned back for the last .6 - a little odd and I'm not sure I'm describing it right) so the tiny path had to accommodate runners going both directions. This is really my only complaint about the race because I had to keep jumping down into the ditch to try to get around people, because people were squeezing in three deep on the path and ignoring polite "Excuse me"s. This slowed me down a lot here and I had to keep reminding myself to relax because I was getting pretty frustrated - you expect crowding at the beginning, not the end. The dodging lasted until we got off the path - I did get to wave to my uncle as he approached the turnabout, although I missed seeing both my aunt and my cousins. From finish times I think my aunt was too close behind me for me to see, and I'm not sure how I missed my cousin.

At the end of mile 3 I knew I'd be close, but I was going to miss both the 35 minute mark and a PR - I'd lost too much time in mile 3. I determined to sprint it out anyway, and ended with a 35:32 - missing a PR by 16 seconds, and my goal by 33 seconds. It was still one of my best 5Ks ever, and considering I never expected to run this while pregnant, I'm still mostly happy with my time - I wanted the PR and not getting it is disappointing but I came pretty close despite hauling a much bigger belly than I'd expected.

 Showing off my bump AND my new bling!

Overall, the race was a lot of fun. There were two egg hunts afterwards - my daughter picked up a lot of candy in the kid's one, and my cousin snagged a 20$ Dick Ponds giftcard, which they gave to me because they'd never use it. Huzzah!

12 comments:

  1. You're so cute with you're belly!!

    WTG getting out there even if you are preggo! You're an inspiration!!

    Maybe since you've gotten that first trimester gone, you'll feel more energized to get out there and log more runs. But hey, even if you don't, you totally have an excuse!!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am really hoping - I feel so much more human that I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now!

      And thank you! I'll admit to showing it off a little, I never thought I'd get pregnant again so I'm just very amazed at myself, lol!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! Almost PRing when you are pregnant and had been feeling so sluggish?! Damn! You rocked it! LOL. And you can tell you are pregnant, silly! You don't just look "big"! :P

    I love that they had medals for the 5K. I like medals too :)

    AND YES! Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My husband kept telling me how proud he is of me - I'm just too competitive for my own good, I really wanted that PR, lol! I'm just grateful I am feeling better and that a sluggish race wasn't in the cards - I've missed running so bad and it's finally feeling okay again!


      I'm such a medal fiend. I totally scope races for them. That's why the Cinco De Miler in May caught my eye, lol!

      Delete
  3. You are adorable - most obviously preggo :)

    Congrats on running strong while pregnant - I so wish I'd started running before having kids. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :)

      Yeah - I wish I'd started before I had my daughter, but running has been amazing. My husband told me after the 5K he honestly thought I'd quit running while pregnant and my gut reaction was shock...I don't want to quit! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, congratulations on such a speedy time while pregnant! You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm happier with my time today than I was when I wrote this post.

      Delete
  5. Nice job. Congrats on a great race while pregnant. And I'm jealous of your bib number...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I always get awesome numbers, my last name is so early in the alphabet, lol!

      Delete
  6. great job! You are an inspiration for sure!

    ReplyDelete