Monday, March 4, 2013

Surpassing my own expectations - and loving it!

For the first time in a couple weeks I got out there for a long run. My last long run embarrassingly was actually 2/10, the Cupid 10K - while I did fine mostly getting 4-5 mile runs in during the week, weekends either weather interfered, we were out of town in a place I couldn't fit a run in, or like last week I tried but had to cut it short to two.

I didn't want to get my hopes too high, so I set my goal for 7 miles. My husband went with me and while I kept it a slow and steady 12:45-13:00mms, mentally the miles went by fast. He didn't run at all other than our 2mile run last week, which isn't so good since he is also registered for the Lincoln Half, so he didn't complain about doing intervals with me - it was a tough run for him because he hadn't done any in a while. When we hit 5 I realized I was feeling fantastic - the run was hard and challenging and I'm glad I didn't set a more aggressive pace to humour his longer legs, but I felt great.

By 5.5 I verbalized that if I felt good, I was going to go for an 8th. He rolled his eyes - he didn't want an eighth, heh. I told him I wasn't asking him to come along, although it would be nice.

At just shy of 7, I tried to bargain. If I stopped at 7 he'd be doing my 1/2 mile cooldown with me, so he could just run with me til then, right? It'd be the same mileage? Well, it made sense to me and it was a good argument, but no. He went inside and I finished my 8th on my own.

...I was bad, I didn't cool down. I walked the 1/4 mile back to his parent's house, but I was lonely! And that was bad, because my legs were immediately sore - didn't walk it off enough and hadn't done a run that long in a month.

BUT, I'm extremely glad I felt good enough to add an extra mile. That was a good confidence booster, since I was starting to wonder if Marathon was going to let me do long runs at all. To feel so good really made me feel mentally better.

That said, I'm sore today. While there was no ab pain during the run and I never felt like I was overdoing it, I can feel it in my lower abs today right along my scarline. I think that might mean I overdid it a little, but it could also just be random because I'm not having any other reaction and all else seems to be well. -shrugs- I'll play it by ear, but I'm looking forward to next week's long run!

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, yes! Being able to run more is a great sign and huge confidence booster! Yay! I hope the pain goes away quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to add the extra mile. Good luck on next week's long run! :-)

    ReplyDelete