Friday, May 31, 2013

22 weeks today!

I need to stop posting about how much I am running here, because as soon as I posted last time I promptly didn't run again, haha. (Life has been...rough. My aunt's murder trial finally happened and her killer got manslaughter, so my energy has been absorbed elsewhere. Nothing to do with running, I just didn't have the mental energy to do anything besides take care of my daughter and cope day to day.)

I have -finally- been able to find a good maternity support belt to try while running - it should be here either Saturday (hopefully!) or Monday (better then than never, but I'll get into why I'm hoping for Saturday in a moment). I am really really hopeful it will make running physically pleasant again - if the pain keeps up I'm probably going to have to quit.

But if that happens, before I do, I am going out with one last hurrah ;) Remember the North Shore Half that I really wanted to do? It had been on my race calendar for ages but we decided against it after the last couple races. It's an expensive race that I can't really race, per se, so spending so much felt...like I was setting myself up for frustration. I was jealous though - my husband is going and it was an experience I really wanted. My half in January was so much fun and I felt like I robbed myself at the Lincoln Half by setting my expectations too high.

Well, serendipity happens sometimes. A friend of mine accidentally double booked herself for both a half in Cali and the North Shore half. She was offering her bib at a discount to the local half but when she found out I was interested, she insisted I could have it for free (I tried arguing - I did!).

So - I get to do one last half! I am undertrained. I've lost some fitness. This in some ways isn't the smartest idea, and I know that. But, I also feel like it was meant to be - and my expectations are VERY diffrent this time. This time, I plan to intentionally hit every bathroom stop - I plan to increase my walk intervals. But most of all, I am going to eke every little bit of fun out of this race that I can. It will be my last half until April (my husband wants me to do Lincoln again - which I'm glad for). I am going to high five any little kids who are spectating, I am going to take pictures, and I am going to smile the whole damn time. :) I will not stress over time or pace - I won't finish pretty. But I will finish in the time limits, and get a pretty medal to hang.

And really, what else could I ask for?

After that...if the belt doesn't work...I'll have to rethink what I want to do. I'd hate to just...stop running. It may end up being an occasional "when I'm up to it" thing. I may have to walk a lot more.

And I'll try to be okay with those things. Honestly, time is flying. This summer will pass in a blink and then it will be October before I know it.

2 comments:

  1. I will probably be volunteering at North Shore on Sunday. I had to walk that race in 2010 due to stress fractures. I have never done it and been able to run! Definitely walk the hills ;)

    If the belt doesn't work there are lots of other things you can keep doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, maybe I'll get to meet you anyway! I'm sure I'll stick out like a sore thumb - not too many people will be hauling big bellies, I bet.

      I plan on walking every single hill lol - I hate hills too much to try to run them.

      Confession...I don't do hill training. I know it will make me a better runner and I love to run, but I love to run too much to make myself do it in a way I hate, if that makes sense. While I know it will make me better, I'll never be competitive in the sense of winning my age group or whatever...so I'll just enjoy walking those hills! :)

      Delete