Monday, May 6, 2013

Cinco de miler recap

Hah! I should have known better than to say "I know it will be a PR" yesterday because it sure wasn't. But I had a great time :)

My husband and I - as well as my aunt - were all running yesterday. Getting there was a pain because parking was PACKED (why oh why do races with large crowds pick places with teeny tiny parking?!) but amazingly it only cost us $3. We'll take it. (My aunt spent the night at her twin's house and took the bus, but we wanted a night at home sans 4 year old, since she was staying at her Grandma's.) We figured out the parking lot we parked in was like a mile and a half away from the start line but that was fine, it was a little chilly but otherwise okay. Fortunately after the long drive there was a public park with a public restroom on the way...

Once at the start line I was relieved to see (no pun intended!) that this race hadn't underestimated its need for portopotties and there were TONS. Despite the public bathroom along the way I figured better safe than sorry while pregnant. Keith waited with me in line, but apparently took off to his corral because he was antsy once I was actually IN the stall. WTH?! He says he waved to me once I was on my way in, but I had asked him to either go to his corral and leave me in line or wait with me inline and walk with me to our corrals, since we were only one apart. I have no idea how that translated to "wait with me until I go in and then take off" - I spent 10-15 minutes looking for him before finally calling him and figuring out he'd ditched me. Thanks, husband!

With the delay I missed getting into my corral and ended up at the very end. At a smaller race this wouldn't have mattered but the Cinco de Miler was HUGE, the biggest one I've ever run, and it meant I started about 15 minutes after he did instead of oh, 2 minutes :( I was kind of pissed waiting to cross the start line because he'd ditched me and I know better than to start a run that way, but it definitely coloured my first mile. I was slow and my mind was elsewhere - I'd been planning to finish in an hour but when my first mile, which is typically my fastest, came in at 12:05 I knew it wasn't happening.

Fortunately that snapped me out of it and I yelled at myself for a moment that this was not how I want any of my runs to be - running right now is hard enough and they damn well better be fun, so I relaxed. I was still hoping for a PR but I stopped berating myself and my husband internally and just let it go, enjoyed the scenery, the band along the course (a mariachi band! I clapped as I ran by them!). Mile two came in at 12:10 and somewhere after that was my first bathroom break. I sadly forgot to factor those into my time goal - if I had I would have realized a PR wasn't in the cards, because I'm now big enough that sitting and then standing is a production :P I lost about a minute to the first bathroom break and would have to take another before the race was over.

Mile three hit with 12:20 and considering that included a bathroom break I thought it was awesome, but forgot that I'd out of habit paused my garmin during the bathroom break, which explains the discrepancy between my chip time and my garmin time. Oops! I know better during a race but just wasn't thinking.

Unfortunately it got a little downhill after the first three miles. I was taking gatorade on course because I'd forgotten my sports beans at homes, but I don't know if that wasn't enough or if it just wasn't a good day for me to go more than 3 miles (they  happen now, unfortunately!). But three things hit here - 1) I suddenly felt extremely, absurdly tired, 2) ab pain hit SEVERELY, and 3) I was suddenly wheezing when I breathed.

The first slowed me down, the second forced longer walk intervals, and the third scared the crap out of me. I've never had breathing problems before, EVER. And I didn't think Marathon was big enough yet to be pushing against my lungs. I threw the idea of a PR out the window and slowed down to make the run just physically comfortable as well as fun, and things became tolerable. With a bathroom break mile 4 was a 13:28 (and I didn't pause my garmin, hah!). I also felt AWFUL here because at one point the woman in front of me while we were turning a corner (somewhere around 3.5ish?) took a walk break and in trying to go around her I stepped on her shoe =/ I must have apologized a million times and she assured me she was fine but wow did I feel terrible. The corner was tight, but I have no excuse other than being a clutz! Oy.

Mile 5 was rough; since I was no longer racing per se I really noticed how the wind was really cold and the sun was really really hot. But it was also my fastest at 12:04. Go figure! I have no idea how that's possible and think my garmin might have hiccuped there, but whatever. The last mile, while rough, was also fun, because I started talking to people around me. We started seeing people walking backwards who had already finished and I was super super amused to hear that I wasn't the only one who targeted the race to get a medal; some of the people walking backwards with food had bibs but no finisher medal, which was noted by a pair of women running beside me. "They have no medals on! They better not have run out - I'm running give miles, I'm getting a medal, damn it!" That definitely had me grinning!

You can't tell, but the medal is there. That's the race shirt btw - I thought the design worked super well on my (huge) belly!


Fortunately, they really did have medals, and I met my husband and aunt at the finish line as well as my other aunt who didn't run. Yay! We then went to grab our food, which consisted of two egg/cheese burritos, a churro, and chips with salsa, plus a beer. I gave my husband the beer (and so did my aunt, haha!). I pawned my churro off on him too as well as one of the burritos after taking a bite (not my thing!) and the other burrito off on my aunt who didn't run, because she didn't get food. The chips and salsa were good but I think I prefer traditional race fare, but it was still fun.

Over all the race was fun. I had been a little nervous because it was run by the same group who does the Chicago Hot Chocolate and that is notorious for being a pain, but I thought it was really well run for how big it was. I think I prefer smaller races though - the race started at 9:30 but it was 10:15ish when I crossed the start line. That just isn't a fun wait when you're by yourself. The medal is cute though, it's a bottle opener!





You can't tell, but the medal has a really nice satinish ribbon too. No year, but it's still a nice little medal for a 5 miler!


And I did learn some things. Posting in my MRTT group afterwards, it was pointed out that both my breathing and fatigue are probably related to anemia. I had totally forgotten (or blocked out?) that I'd been anemic my last pregnancy too, right around 20 weeks. Oops! The wheezing is likely from me struggling to get more oxygen and I didn't do a great job paying attention before the audio cue gave it away. (Races are exciting, what can I say!) It's probably a good thing I'm not registered for any more races right now, because I think I'll be better off with day of registration when I know my body is up to it. But I think an iron supplement will help a lot too, so we'll see. I'm just going to keep reminding myself that races are FUN and not just for PRs :)

As for the ab pain...I was annoyed at first because a month ago it didn't hit until mile 10! Mile 3 is very far from mile 10 :P But then I realized, I'm also a lot bigger than I was a month ago and if I'd been paying attention during my training runs I probably would have predicted this, but I've just been running until it stops feeling good, rather than paying attention to -when- it stops feeling good. My friends suggested a pregnancy support belt for running and I think that's probably a good idea to help stop the round ligament pain in my abs. So, we'll see. But I'm still feeling pretty good - 18 1/2 weeks and still running!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the finish. Looks like a fun race. I think I'd like the post-race food. The medal is cool as well, like the bottle opener! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was fun! And lol the post race food was good - it's just not what I'm used to!

      It really is, I really like it!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy they had medals for you! :)

    I have never heard of a pregnancy support belt for running! That is a great idea! You are doing so well getting out there and moving, maybe that will make it even better!

    Your husband's communication skills sound like they are somewhat similar to mine. Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Me too! :)

      I hope so! I'm going to look around today and see about getting one. If it helps me keep moving I am ALL for it!

      Lol. Guy thing! I can't be toooo mad at him though, he blew his time goal for the race by 2 1/2 minutes so I guess the jitters worked for him!

      Delete
  3. I think it is excellent you are still running! I also love the medal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! And your belly is not super huge- you look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and thank you! I feel huge but I know realistically there's a lot more baby to grow! :)

      Delete