Friday, November 15, 2013

First post-partum run

I meant to write this yesterday, but my headspace wasn't great after my first run.

I was so excited to get out there!

I'm so excited, I just can't hide it...(and I was over-dressed, too! Note to self: Compression shirt not needed in 40 degree weather.)

I was only doing two miles because I haven't run in eons and yanno, just had abdominal surgery 6 1/2 weeks ago, so wanted to be conservative.

I have to admit though, I thought I was being overly conservative and that while I wouldn't be anywhere close to a PR...I thought I'd be about where I left off pregnant running.

What I didn't expect was to be slower than I'd ever been before. I struggled through running two 14 minute miles.

And while I've never been fast, 14 minute miles were disheartening. My husband and my best friend can both walk faster than that! I was so upset, and even wondered if getting pregnant had ruined my ability to run.

Today, I'm sore. My legs are sore - I can feel that I worked hard. Two miles was conservative, but my body needed it. I needed to start slow mileage wise and you know what..speed wise, yeah, I was slow. Oh well. I'll get faster. I won't be doing 14 minute miles forever. Two miles won't be this hard forever. I got to run again! I'm running again tomorrow.

And it feels so good to be back!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad to hear you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! Glad to be back. I've missed it!

      Delete
  2. Yay for being back! Don't beat yourself up! You will get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I know I will, I just tend to be soooo self critical. Today I realize that looking at yesterday's run through that lense just isn't fair to myself, so today I'm back to just being happy I ran :)

      Delete