Thursday, December 5, 2013

Postpartum running

It's such a relief that running is getting - slowly - back to normal.

(insert obvious disclaimer here - baby is more important, baby is worth it, no changes are ever permanent, et cetera, et cetera, ad infinitum)

My first post baby run was two really hard, really slow miles. And I ached soooo much after it - I felt it in my quads, my butt, my calves...I was so discouraged and felt like I may as well be starting over with week 1 of the Couch to 5K, which is where I started.

Honestly, that wouldn't be terrible. I tend to expect a lot of myself, particularly when I work hard at something. And I've only been running since August '12. But I've discovered how much I love it, how much fun I have doing it and the sense of accomplishment it brings, both getting it done and getting better. Selfishly I didn't want to backslide, at least not too far!

So finding that my runs are getting easier is a relief. I've now had 7 post-baby runs - last night I ran 5K and ran 3 very consistent miles. I've run 2 miles 3x, 2.5 miles once, and 3 miles 3x. The 2 milers were always slow but consistent but when I bumped it up to 3 it was rough, my M/M were super incosistent. My turkey trot last week was 11.5, 13, 12.5! All over the place. But my run last night was 12:29, 12:18, 12:31 which is both a huge step up in speed from 2 weeks ago, and a lot more consistent than I expected. My endurance isn't gone...it's just...stubborn? Haha!

My plan for this week is a 3 miler on Friday and another Sunday. I decided I'm going to focus on getting my walking intervals down/shorter/away before I work on adding distance - I am so much stronger than when I first started that I think running without intervals is definitely feasible for me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment