Monday, January 27, 2014

Getting it in, and active recovery versus full rest

I'm proud of myself and just had to blog about it - Saturday night I did a 2 mile speedworkout. I hate night running by myself, I get paranoid about safety issues and I ended up just running laps around my neighborhood. It was really cold by the time I got out there, but I have been really bad about getting both weekend runs in so I knew I had to do it. I told my husband as I was getting dressed that I didn't want to do it, haha.

But I got out there, and I ran - and I ran close to my fastest first mile ever (10:52 - I'm a speed demon, right? Hah! My fastest is 10:48) and my fastest 2 mile run ever, finishing 2.1 miles in 23:36 for an 11:14 pace. The overall pace is now on par with my pace pre-baby and that just...feels great. I was so discouraged my first few post partum runs - I'd been working so hard towards a goal of 10 minute miles and breaking a 35 minute 5K. When I started running again once I was cleared post baby, I felt so so far from that - but here at 4 months post partum, I feel like me again..and that I am SO close to that sub-35 5K! I am so so so eager to get out there and do that.

Sunday was tough, we spent the day at SoxFest in the city so I spent the entire day on my feet. Conditions outside were getting worse, it was now very snowy where my husband and I planned to run (our first run together in more than 6 months) and the temperature was dropping fast. In addition to being on my feet literally all day, I also wasn't able to eat much or get as much water in as I usually do. Great conditions for a run, right? My husband expected me to let him off the hook and to bail on the run - I shocked him when I said we were still going, but I have a 10K in 2 weeks - I needed a 4-5 mile run!

We ended up doing 4.15. It wasn't the 5 I was really really hoping for, but conditions were rough and my legs were tired and heavy, so the 13 minute pace we held was about maximum effort. We were in for a polar vortex night so I had to stop at 4.15 anyway; if I'd been a bit faster we could have done the full 5, but honestly my legs were done by that point anyway. I'm not used to running two days in a row, which makes me even prouder for getting out there and doing it.


This weekend made me proud to get out there and get it done. It also made me wonder if I could sneak a 2 mile run or two in during the week...night running sucks, but if I only do 2 miles...it's better than not getting that run in during the week, right? And that won't last forever...I'd feel a lot better about signing up for the marathon if I do that, I think.

And also, I'm sore - my legs worked hard this weekend! I can't decide whether to take a full rest day or do 20 minutes on the elliptical for a gentle recovery workout. It's a good dilemma to have!

6 comments:

  1. Aww man! Look at you! That is awesome that you are getting so speedy and getting the miles in! You should totally sneak in those 2 milers! It will help you get to your goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim!! I think I will...part of me feels like, are 2 mile runs REALLY going to help? But I love to run outside if nothing else, so even if the mileage isn't that much of a boost at least it will be a lot of speedwork? Haha!

      Delete
  2. Running at night does suck (I'm an early morning darkness runner) but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. Be safe and keep rockin' the runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early morning is the only time my 4 month old is letting me sleep right now - that had been my initial plan! :( Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Great job! I hate running in the dark, so I'm impressed you got out there. Just keep sneaking those runs in. (I like to add an extra .1 or .2 to a scheduled run just to get my body to go a little bit further. It all adds up...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do too, but it's that or nothing I suppose!

      And it definitely does!

      Delete