Wednesday, January 22, 2014

To marathon...or not?

When I created this blog it was to help me mentally power through marathon training. 2013 was supposed to be my year of the marathon...and then I got pregnant, and it became all about a different sort of marathon. That's okay, everyone told me - you can do a marathon in 2014!

And I want to. I'm staring at the Des Plaines River Trail marathon (there's also a half and an ultra) and I so want to say yes.

But I'm so nervous. Do I realistically have time to do it this year with a baby? I've been running at most twice a week right now. That will change as he gets older...by the end of March when he hits 6 months I'm anticipating being able to get out there twice a week on a stroller run and then 1-2 times per weekend.

But I forgot how easily life becomes hard to plan with a baby. And a marathon is a LOT of commitment.

I want to register and give myself a goal, and say 2014 is my year of the marathon. But I hate to set a goal that I'm not sure I can meet. A difficult goal is one thing, because I love things that require me to work hard to get what I want. But there's a difference between debating if it's difficult and debating if it's possible. And I'm just not sure which this is!

4 comments:

  1. **I'm going to start by saying I don't have any children so I really don't know what it's like to have that kind of responsibility along with training for a race. What if you tried training for a half marathon first to see what kind of time you'll be able to commit to training, and if that seems to be going well then I say go for it :) Good luck in whatever you chose to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a few halfs on my calendar already! :) I love that distance, it's such a good balance of effort and distance.

      Delete
  2. That's gotta be tough with a new baby and wanting to get back into racing! But once you are able to do a jogging stroller, that should help with getting runs in right? I am thinking about the Wisconsin Half myself...the DPRT one looks fun and close though!
    Valerie
    www.the-style-files.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! And in a way - even though I was nervous about trail racing - it has made the season pass make so much sense for me, because I'm not trying to set speed records on the trail. It's really ideal for a way to get out and have fun.

      Butttt I can't help but be thinking about getting faster too, and that marathon is calling my name!

      The DPRT is like, my backyard. So it's especially tempting for me - my husband could drop me off, go home, come back to spectate for a bit, go home, etc! It's like 15 minutes from us, which sounds really, really nice though!

      The cheese one? My husband is doing that half I beleive! I think Kim has a discount code for it too.

      Delete