Friday, February 7, 2014

2014 Goals

*takes a deep breath*

I'm going to do it. I'm going to dedicate 2014 to two big running goals.

1) Sub 35 5k

2) Des Plaines River Trail Race Marathon


...now that I've written those, I'm extremely nervous to see them staring back in black and white. They're so...stark.

But I feel like I'm busting out of my skin, ready to grow. I feel like I can do both of these. So here's my plan of attack:


Sub 35 5K:

  • Wean off the walk/run intervals for short runs. I used to be able to run 5 slow miles with no walk breaks, but I'm not back there yet. Right now I can go 1.5 miles without a walk break - I've been increasing that .25 miles every week on my first run of the week. Next week I plan on going up to 1.75. 
  • Do speed drills once a week. (Yuck!) I don't have a track I know of that I can access, but a lap around my neighborhood is .25 miles. I can work with that. 
  • Do a treadmill hill workout once a week. My treadmill is manual and permanently inclined; everywhere I run is flat or has gradual inclines/declines. My treadmill is a whole lot more like running hills. So as much as I hate it - I feel like running on this once a week, which I was doing before I got pregnant, will help make me stronger. 
  • Target a flat/fast 5K course at the end of March. I'm open to suggestions here!

Marathon:

  • Train for a half marathon in April
  • Sign up for marathon
  • Strength train 1-2 times a week
  • ....? I'm actually not sure what else to do now. Once my base mileage is up to my half I intend to keep it there, so starting from scratch on a training plan for a marathon wouldn't make sense. This will require more thought and research...

Well, I'm intimidated!

2 comments:

  1. You can do both of these! It will help they are spaced out - don't want to focus on speed when you are focusing on your first marathon! Hmm, flat, in March. The March course I can think of is mid March and NOT flat at ALL. I will let you know if I come across anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking! For the marathon I just want to finish (although finishing faster than my husband's marathon time would be cheeky and fun, hah!) but I am ready to bust this 5K barrier! I was thinking of April too but I already have 2 races in April and I'm not sure adding a third is smart, at least if I want to PR in them. The Egg Shell Shuffle in Schaumburg is in April this year and pretty flat...but it would also mean HM, then the Muddy Monk Double Down, then the 5K.

      I guess I could wait til May - being over eager may just lead to disappointment. I just feel SO close though!

      Delete