Friday, February 28, 2014

Logging those miles

I have said this talking to other runners before, but I am a huge numbers person. I have my bachelor's and master's in business and my favourite classes were - I know this sounds weird - accounting, because I like crunching numbers. I am weird like that. And I think that is part of what gives me such satisfaction with running - of course the joy of the run is primary, but watching the miles stack up is just so fulfilling. (There is not sarcasm in that sentence. I know it sounds like there should be. But there isn't.)

So I log my miles in a lot of places. Ummm...a lot. So let's see. I use MapMyRun because I like the calendar dashboard where I can see weekly mileage and monthly mileage and each run and walk. I use MyFitnessPal for the calories, and MapMyRun automatically syncs my mileage over there. (Sweet.) I use DailyMile because it syncs the widget I use for my blog and syncs to my FB page. I use Fit4Life's logbook because they're working on an all-inclusive system that will log mileage on my shoes, show me the 7day/30day view I like, and sort miles automatically between walk/run/elliptical.

And now that I have two pairs of new shoes (my poor Mizunos were so worn out - this time I picked up a pair of Asics and Sauconys) I want to track mileage on them, so I'm tracking them here on my blog.

What's better than a new pair of runners? TWO new pairs, of course.


When I realized how many places I'm logging my miles, I felt a little crazy. But they each have features I like! And yay numbers! And lookit lookit lookit, so many shiny miles!

Am I the only crazy one? Does anyone else log their miles in multiple places? Where do you log?

14 comments:

  1. I used to log in multiple places but it got too much! So now I use an online log.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot! But it's fun, at least for me. Hah! What online log do you use?

      Delete
  2. My runs consist of so much math it's almost scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Barb I love dissecting the numbers after my runs. Figuring out my splits, if elevation corresponded to speed increases or decreases, overall pace...Lol!

      Delete
  3. LOL! That is a lot of places! That is good you are using two pairs of shoes and logging your miles on them. I just read a story that reiterated the importance of using at least two pairs of shoes. Someone was telling me that one of those sites will log your shoes for you too... but I have no idea which. I just use Garmin for my runs/rides, a spreadsheet for miles, and blog entries for the rest. I get annoyed updating a lot of different things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's overkill! But I have a reason for it, I really do!

      I think we probably read the same article, it just went around a lot of the running fb feeds. It made a lot of sense and even if it doesn't actually provide an advantage it's not like it costs more - a mile on the shoe is a mile on the shoe whether it takes me 6mo to get to it on one pair and then buy a econd or 12mo to get it on both. -shrugs-

      I do have a garmin, but I upload it to mapmyrun! Haha. I tried garminconnect and wasn't loving it so dropped it.

      Once fit4life adds the shoe tracking I am ditching doing it on the blog...although now you make me want to go dig through DM and MMR to go see if they do do shoe tracking! That would make my life easier.

      Delete
    2. I just realized, I never actually said why I'm tracking shoes now that I have two - before I didn't have to, I just tracked my miles from when I bought them since they were all on one pair. Now that I have two I have to break it down though! Or my type-A brain will eat me.

      Delete
    3. And look at me spam commenting, but DM does do it! Thank you, you just made my life SO much easier!

      Delete
  4. I am so not a numbers person! I'm only logging my miles on runkeeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too into breaking down my numbers for only using one log but that definitely sounds easier!

      Delete
  5. good for you for logging...I love my sauconys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mine!! They were more expensive than any other pair I have but I really, really like them.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE numbers too!!!! I log mine on Runners World, my phone, and Garmin. I haven't ran much lately though, but if it ever warms up... those are the places I use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people use garmin! I didn't really like it when I tried but I will have to look at it again.

      Delete