Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Goals! ..goal?

Didn't I just make a post about goals? Yes? Well, here's another another. Huzzah.

See, the thing is I don't know WHAT my 5K goal is right now. I was aiming for a sub 35, but ran a sub 34 with walk breaks in the last mile on 2/12. So I was like - okay, let's go for crazy. I'm going to aim for a sub 33 on race day.

And then on 3/4 last week, this happened:



Splits 10:34, 10:09, 10:00, :55. That was run with no walk breaks. And I ran pretty hard - I didn't want to throw up at the end, but it was definitely an intensive effort. I wanted to give it almost everything, and I'm pretty satisfied I did.

But so now what? Kim asked me on my weekly recap from last week what my 5K goal is - and I don't know. The truth is, I set a list of goals after my first 5K - sub 35, sub 33, and sub 30. Sub 30 seemed like "real runner" territory back then and while I know that "real runner" is nonsense, it's still sort of an ultimate goal.

And I think unless the wheels really come off the bus, my next 5K road race should check sub-35 and sub-33 off my list.

Sub 30 though...man, it's an intimidating goal! But gotta work towards something, right?! *grin*


(And as a side not, sorry for being quiet the past few days. Something ... interesting ... happened on Monday that I have been asked not to blog about yet. I will have more details on Friday. I can say it's not good, but really only peripherally related to me. Bleh.)

6 comments:

  1. Just go for sub 30. You're so close! Or sub 31. Come on. ;) And thank you for correcting yourself on the "real runner" bs. It makes me bonkers when people think pace dictates whether they are a "real" runner or not. It's not like you are a fake one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit I used to feel that way and still sometimes get down on myself for being slow (trying not to, I promise!) but yeah, I know now it's BS! I'm going wayyyyy back to my couch to 5k days with that sentiment :)

      And I think I am...it's sooooo close. But it's also like 30 seconds a mile...I have this feeling I'll end up with a 30:30 but that's still good!! I still can't believe I even get to ponder this!

      Delete
  2. that is awesome!! You should really try for sub 30!

    *crossing fingers for your news that everything will turn out alright*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what I'm going to hope for but it is SUCH a scary goal! Ultimate goal territory. Which is strange!

      Delete
  3. Dude! You can totally do a sub 30 on race day!! And really, it's not a good 5K unless you either vomit...or get really close to it! Hahaha!

    I used to feel the same way about being a real "runner", but I agree with Kim, you're not a "fake" runner, so yes, you are a runner!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha. Well I can sincerely say, I hope not to vomit! But I do remember dry heaving after a race my first year of running. Strange how far I've come - that was a 36:59 race, haha!

      Delete