Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pre-race nerves...really, really early!

I made the call and took the plunge, and registered for the Egg Shell Shuffle 5K. I've run this before, and nearly PR'ed despite being 3 months pregnant; the course is a nice. So I'm excited about it.

But also, I have a serious case of nerves here. I may have posted once or twice about working on 5K goals; I've been unsure whether to go for a sub 31 or a sub 30, considering how much I know that a sub-35 and even a sub 33 should be doable for me with the way my training runs have been going.

Sometimes I have awesome runs and feel like if I can push a bit harder sub-30 is within my grasp. And sometimes I have confidence busters where I'm not even convinced I can break 32, even though I've had training runs that are less than that! Running is SUCH a headtrip, seriously.

This pond was too pretty not to photograph on Sunday's long run, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with my 5K nerves...


It's funny, I  have a half coming up in 2 1/2 weeks - the Lincoln Half Marathon - and I'm not nervous about that. I should pretty easily bust into the 230s - and if I have a really good day I should end up with around 2:30 give or take. But it's a long race and it's my first post partum half and it will be what it will be! I'm not nervous about that. It should be a PR unless the wheels really fall off the bus.

But this 5K...oh yes, I am nervous about that! Possibly more nervous than training for a marathon. (Which, btw, my husband convinced me to throw my name in for the Chicago Marathon lottery, which opened yesterday. I will reserve judgment there.) I feel like I've worked hard for this and I am so nervous to see whether it will pay out...but it also feels so silly to be so nervous about a 5K when I'm running much longer than that each weekend!

I know I'm not the only one out there who gets more nervous about short races than long races, so tell me your story - what makes YOU more nervous?

12 comments:

  1. I only get nervous for 5Ks. Because they are about speed. And I don't like running fast. Endurance, eh, got it ;) So I get you. Just push it til it hurts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it. I can plug along nooooo problem. I will do a marathon and someday an ultra because running for a while? Sure, why not! But fast...intimidating!!

      Delete
  2. Ooh the Lincoln Half is so awesome! I can't wait to see what the dollar bill medal looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited! My husband and I bickered a bit over who would get to run it because it looks wicked!

      Delete
  3. I always run the 5K's as fast as I can. My motto is:

    If I don't feel like I will vomit at the finish line, then I didn't run fast enough!!

    Works every time!

    So just run as fast as you can! (or until you almost vomit...or actually vomit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like so much fun! Gee, wonder why I am nervous. LOL!

      Delete
  4. I go out to have fun...but I am excited we will see you at the Egg Shell Shuffle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We'll have to make sure we meet up!

      Delete
  5. I get far more nervous with longer races- but that has more to do with anxiety (OMG I'm going to get lost! lol) than anything else. If I can clear my mind of that, I can see why some get more nervous about shorter races.

    All day long I could tell you not to work yourself up and that this pressure is only going to slow you down. But that's not going to help, and you already know it.

    But I'll tell you what I know. I know how awesome you are. I look at your times enough to know that you do things right-- by that I mean more disciplined (based on knowledge) than anyone else I know (it's one thing to know it, but another to DO it-- and you DO IT). You do things *right*. I admire how your mile times tend to get faster as you go- and I think that's why you are making so much progress so fast (well, one of several reasons, but that's compelling). Interestingly enough, after reading your post, I'd like to tell you to slow down-- slow down to speed up. Of course you're going to push it. I'd expect nothing less from a 5k. But stay true to course (yes, races are different, I get that, but keep centered as you've been). It has gotten you really far and it *will* take you the rest of the way. Hang onto that.

    I also wonder if it's not nervousness you feel, but excitement that your brain is over-analyzing. Does your body know this is the one, and your mind is freaking excited?!

    When I made sub 30, I pushed really hard on the way out, and harder, digging incredibly deep, on the way back. I also picked an incredible run (as well as unique) that was so perfect for my running style, which seriously helped- I KNEW that would be the one-- which added pressure too, lol. I was really close to my limit the whole time, but it wasn't until the last third that I did the whole "push it until you vomit" thing. I had a case of the nerves, but looking back, I think deep down I knew this would be the one... and I wonder if that's where you are too. It's hard to see beforehand though, hence the nerves. I thought I was getting too excited, working myself up too much, because I kinda did think that was the one (afterwards, I realized that I knew the whole time).

    In the end, this is how I feel; You WILL be sub 30. But when the time is right. It IS going to happen. But all great things happen when they are ready. Just let it happen, which is easier said than done. I didn't come to that point until the gun went off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's entirely possible. I'm definitely REALLY excited about it, I'm so eager to get out there and prove I can do it!

      I think that's part of why I picked this course; I know I liked it and had a good experience there last year, plus I know it had no hills. (I don't like hills, lol!)

      And that's true. If it's meant to be this time, it's meant to be!

      Delete
  6. 5Ks make me nervous because I tend to push too hard. I can run easy forever. It's always a toss up if I'm going to push over the lactic threshold or stay right on the edge when I'm racing a short race.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so it seems like this is really common. That makes me feel better!

      Thank you! I hope to have a really good race recap in a few weeks :)

      Delete