Monday, March 3, 2014

Warming up!

Sadly, this post is not about the weather. Hopeful that kind of warm up will happen next week though - I prefer running in the cold, but I'll be honest, I'm tired of the snow! I did have a good long run yesterday, 9 miles in 1/2inch of snow and slush that made for a difficult run that was much more taxing on my quads than I expected, but I'm not even feeling sore today which is awesome.

Sadly, this is still life outside my window, at least this week. Lousy Smarch weather!


I was comparing that to how I felt last week when I did 7 miles that felt easy and fast, and I think the difference is - I was running with my husband last week. Which, don't get me wrong - I love company on a run. And it's time spent with my husband, which is awesome - it feels like there is never enough of that in a week. But he hates warmups and cooldowns. He did run a marathon last year, so he isn't a new runner exactly, but he is...luckier than I am? Sillier? He goes out and runs, and when he's done he comes in and resumes his day. I did get him to do a short warm up for our run last week, but there really wasn't a cool down. And I bet that's why my achilles was tight last week but wasn't this week after a more strenuous and longer run.

For runs more than 2 miles I usually walk 1/2 a mile to start with, although lately I've been adding some rolling squat-knee-hugs (do those have a name? You stand with your feet a part, bring a knee up to your abdomen, put it down and squat, then do the other knee, lather rinse repeat?) to loosen up my hips/pelvis and cool down for half mile walk afterwards, following by some light stretching afterwards.If it's a 2 mile run I'll do a quarter mile.

He can get away with no warm up or cool down - but apparently I can't, and next time we run again I guess I'll have to be stubborn no matter how much it irritates him. (He doesn't like running - he does it because it's good for him. I don't think he'd mind an injury that put him off running, if I'm honest! On the other hand, I obviously love running...)

What about you? What do you do for a warm up, if you do one? What about cool down? Can you get away with skipping it if you want to, or is it a must for you too?

10 comments:

  1. I use my first few minutes or mile as a slower warm-up run. Then I walk a bit when I finish to cool down and do some active stretching. Something different works for everyone :) I prefer to run outdoors and don't want to spend a of time outside after a run because the sweat on my body is starting to cool down an make me cold! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't deny that! And I think that's his objection too. Once I get inside though my motivation is soooo gone though haha.

      Delete
  2. I will walk for the first 3-4 minutes and then run the first mile pretty slow if I'm doing a long run. I really think warming up slow helps me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been walking a couple minutes to warm up and cool down. I'll be honest that if I'm short on time the warm up is the first thing to go. I always do a cool down and stretching afterward though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I think I probably cut the length of the run if I'm short on time! Eep.

      Delete
  4. can you do a circle of a warm up and then have him join you? That way you get more in and you can rub it in his face..

    oh wait..this might be why I am single. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could if we were doing one close to home. Good idea!

      Delete
  5. I run my first mile slow. At the end I walk the rest of the way home which is about .25 miles. I HAVE to use my foam roller after for my IT band! If I don't within a couple of runs, I'll regret it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need a new foam roller. I should probably go back to doing that..

      Delete