Thursday, April 17, 2014

Marathon fretting

So, I've shared that I decided to run a marathon this year. I put that down in words and keep linking back to remind myself of the confidence I had going into that post.

Behind the scenes I've been having a crisis of confidence...it seems like so many miles, and it's so much time away from my kids. I love to run and I love the me time. But I also post my runs to my personal facebook page (yeah...I'm one of those. People can scroll past if they don't like them, it helps me though!) and mostly get props but sometimes from other moms it's, "How do you find the time?!" And while it's okay right now...marathon runs...we're getting into lots of hours. Especially because I'm slower. (I am happy with my pace, but it does mean ... it's a bigger time commitment for me than someone who is faster.)

But somehow in the midst of that my husband convinced me to throw my name in for the Chicago lottery. He wants to run it with me. I think a less crowded marathon is more my style - I hate crowds! - but I love running with him. Most of my runs are solo and having company makes it so much more fun. And it's succccch a long run that having company for it sounds even nicer.

So, I threw my name in. And not only did he get in, but somehow this happened too:


I have to be honest, I am very very rarely lucky and totally did not expect to get selected. I got the email and was -stunned-.

And now I have to decide /now/. And deal with the guilt of taking a slot from someone who wanted it if I don't register.

Ack!

6 comments:

  1. I've had the same thought about running slower meaning that much more training time. Like yes, I'm fine with my pace as-is, but a 20 mile training run for me is sooooo much longer than, say, my husband who runs a solid 7:30 mile (which is why I'm trying to convince him to do a marathon). But you do have that sweet new running stroller, and it's really cool that you and your husband were both selected! I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's not a bad thing but it is a thing and does need to be factored, yknow?

      Yeah - I do have the stroller so at least I can go while my daughter is in school and keep my son with me...


      I think I am. Talk about last minute decisions!

      Delete
  2. That is cool you both got in! I don't know anyone who applied and didn't! That is great - awesome that so many people still get to do the race, after so many were upset it went to lottery. If he is on board and you are too, give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that - I don't know anyone who didn't get in either! It almost made me wonder if it was a goof but oh well!

      He is more than on board...he's pushing for it :)

      Delete
  3. Yay I'm glad you got in! Me too!

    Chicago is so great for first-timers. So long as you do the training and keep up with it, who cares about your time? Just have fun. The first marathon is always about crossing the finish line, nothing more. Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats!!

      I'm not worried about finishing time per se, but the long runs leading up to it...and the night away from my now 6 month old...he'll be 1 then but my daughter didn't spend the night away til she was 3! Lol.

      Delete