Friday, April 11, 2014

Sometimes, things are more expensive for a reason.

I am almost sad to write this post. I am, in general, paranoid about spending money - that is getting better, but my husband just came off a two year stint of being unemployed and it was a stressful couple years. Getting pregnant - while wonderful - only added to that stress. So I spend as little as I can.  I use budget equipment when I can. Even my expensive purchases - like my elliptical - are far from top of the line.

And I am okay with that. It's who I am! So when a jogging stroller, a huge-wheeled Schwinn jogger, came up on Craigslist for $25, I jumped. And Miles was happy in it!

Happy Schwinn grin!


But the Schwinn was limited. It was definitely hard to push, and more limiting on where I could run, and didn't have all the features I really wanted. For one, it didn't fit in my car - so I was limited to taking it around the block. But it did let me get out for weekday runs. I had tried a few other jogging strollers and the Schwinn really didn't seem any different than them, although missing a couple features - it handled as well as the $100-$150 joggers I'd tried.

Out of habit..and perhaps latent desire for an easier way to do this...I kept stalking Craigslist. And a BOB Revolution popped up. For $150. Used only a handful of times, although a few years old.

Now, for those who don't know...those are kind of the "IT" strollers. When you ask the running groups what stroller to get, it's the BOB. It's the one best rated for running. For casual runners it's ratd the best because it can go to a regular stroller too as the front wheel can swivel. For serious runners, the wheel locks - and it's the only one that swivels and rates well for running. (In general the other strollers that swivel aren't rated well for running - the fixed wheels are recommended, with the BOB Revolution being the only one that seems to tread both lines.)

"I need a jogging stroller and I'm on a budget, what can I get if I plan to do some serious running?" "Wait for BOBs to go on sale." I hated that answer while pregnant. I was half sure it was a cult answer, brand loyalty. No way could the market really be that dominated. And they retail for around $300-$400 depending on where you go and what you get with it.

Well - feeling guilty for spending more money on myself when I had a perfectly fine jogger that let me go around the block - I answered the ad. And well...

...I hate to say this...

...but I freaking love this thing.

Mama why are you IN the stroller with me?!


I won't bore y'all with the details because really, a simple google search can give you a better list than me. I wish I had just taken one of these for a ride earlier, they really are so much easier to handle. And it folds compact enough to fit in my trunk, so Miles and I actually got to hit the trails in one of our parks this week - it was AWESOME! (Well, the run was not awesome. The bathrooms are still locked for the winter...and I really had to pee. But that is not the stroller's fault!)

I mean...guys...I ran a 9:49 mile PUSHING THIS STROLLER. My fastest mile ever is a 9:42 and that's solo.

So I hate to say it because I hate spending money on myself...but in this case, the money is so worth it and the thing justifies its price tag. Apparently, BOBs are worth it..

Have you ever found a piece of equipment or gear to be (unfortunately) worth its heft price tag? Tell me about it and make me feel better!

20 comments:

  1. Aw, sometimes it's okay to splurge a little - treat yourself! This seems like a pretty good investment, I mean it's good for you AND Miles! And look at it in terms of cost-per-mile, that may help. But I hear that, I'm all about saving money and buying stuff as cheaply as possible. I think running shoes are probably the only thing I'm willing to spend a lot on, and even at that I try to get them on sale (or buy last year's model, whatever).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same with shoes! I only buy old models haha. I figure if they were good enough then they are just fine for me now! And good running shoes can be so so expensive if you buy the newest model.

      Yeah, that's how I'm trying to think of it. I think he'll like it better as he gets older too since we can go places, unlike the other one where I was stuck staying around the neighborhood. It's still a hefty price tag but I am so glad I did it!

      Delete
  2. I am TERRIBLE about spending money, so I would have definitely been all over that incredible deal. Totally justified purchase! You know you are going to use it and the fact that you already love it so much makes it that much better. BOBs are definitely the IT stroller for runners and I wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am too. But this one - I have been watching CL since I got pregnant and not seen one this low, so I just knew I had to do it. I'm really glad I did it but I still think, eek it's a lot!

      I really hate that they are "IT" - I wish they were more choices, they might have a better price tag then!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you. Sometimes the cheap/copycat/generic things just aren't the same. Like Oreos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize that polite society dictates a real response to your comment, but all I can think now is - man, I want oreos!

      Delete
    2. My family agrees on the oreos ... I've tried to trick them with a copy cat. No go ...

      Delete
    3. I don't know... have you tried the ALDI double stuf knock-off oreos? I really like them! :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I definitely think the price is worth it for something that you love and will use a lot! Here's to tons of happy runs with Miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say it but I think I agree! The price tag was still hard to swallow! But we love it :)

      Delete
  5. That photo of you and Miles is so cute! And the stroller definitely sounds like it's worth the money. Great job finding it on Craig's List.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks, I was super excited!

      Delete
  6. I am quite frugal ... trying to balance out hubby who is, well ... not. In fact, he pretty much believes if it costs more it is automatically better. That is the case sometimes, but not always. But, you do need to look at the big picture, and if it is something you are really going to enjoy, that is going to help you with your fitness, spread out over the times you will be using it ... it's worth it. You are worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes more expensive is definitely not worth it! There are a whole lot of generic things where I know for sure he can't tell the difference, because he only comments if he sees the box, lol. But sometimes they do taste different, like generic cheerios. Meh! Sadly apparently strollers are in the worth it category..

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you found something that you love! That photo of y'all is adorable! I am trying to get better about spending money on myself but it's always hard for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really really really hard! It is. I am...not getting better. Haha!

      Delete
  8. Yay for easy pushing running baby strollers!!! I cannot imagine how difficult those things can be to push!!

    I often buy Lululemon running skirts. They are pricey. But they are a length I desire (where the booty doesn't hang out) and the under shorts DON'T ride up, which is super important to cut down on chafing issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh they sound nice. I have heard great things about their skirts; I have one of their tanks but I got it second hand - but I can totally see why they get the love!

      It is tough! The BOB is so much easier though. Still more of a workout however!

      Delete
  9. Oh gosh. Yeah. Like my road bike? Totally $$$, but worth it. I come from a family that is always looking for a deal so it made me be the opposite - I don't mind spending more if something is worth it. I am happy you got the nice stroller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I use it the happier I am...it is so so much easier to run with than the other one! I think I'll be able to go for longer runs with it too, which is nice.

      Delete