Friday, May 23, 2014

Heat whinging

Hi, and welcome to the ubiquitous obligatory whinge about heat.

Sad Heather is hot and sad. And not hot like hot, but more like, melting.

It is flipping out here in the burbs of Chicago lately. YUCK! My run on Tuesday was in the low 80s. I stopped for water every half a mile. I tried to keep it slow and easy but that was hard! I think I spent my day guzzling water.

I don't really like running in shorts for body-issue reasons but it's so easy to forget how hot it gets here in Chicagoland; we went from 40s to 80s seemingly overnight and I think the capris are going to have to take a rest soon. Can I just say - I prefer the vortex temps? I am not a fan of the snow but the cold? Bring it on. I can always add enough layers. The heat? There aren't enough layers to remove! (Especially publicly. I can do the sports bra only on my treadmill but...not brave enough to do that outside!)

To cope, I've been bringing water even on short runs, and Wednesday and Thursday I went back to getting up super early to get a run in. I used to do this, but somehow I rose-glasses'ed that into believing I did it for mental reasons - to start the day right.

Nope, I remember now that I used to do it because it was bloody hot outside.

I love running, but this stuff is hard, man. And I read that it takes 5-10 hours of running time in the heat before your body acclimates. Can I get a resounding "meh" here? Is it almost fall yet?


8 comments:

  1. I hear you, I hate hot weather running! And I'm not really big on getting up super early to run, but it's a necessary evil I guess.

    I'm over body image issues when I'm running (because who is going to make fun of me? People hanging out NOT running?), but my beef with shorts is that they're all SO short! Who can wear 2" inseams and not have chafing problems? I have a couple running skirts with built in shorts that are a little longer, and I just ordered a pair of shorts with a 5" inseam in hopes that they're long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears to be! My noon run tried to immolate me.

      I know! I don't understand why they are soooo short. And I wish I could say I am over body image issues...I am working on it! They all ride up, too :(

      Delete
  2. We are so opposite. I legit did not think I would survive this winter, I have such bad SAD. I dont like it to be 100 degrees, but I will take sunny and 70/80 over the cold any day!!!

    Also, I agree with Anne- I stopped caring about what people though of me when I was running. Either you are running and not looking your best either or you aren't running at all. :)

    I found that running skirts are much more comfortable than shorts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, my husband is the same way. He'll take a 90* run over a 20* run any day but not me!

      I definitely agree with that but at the same time, it's so much of my skin! I am not a prude, I don't mind other people in shorts and tanks but...eek, me? I don't know!

      I do love my running skirts!

      Delete
  3. I HATE running in the heat. I'm with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of any other condition more unpleasant to run through :(

      Delete
  4. I love fall and spring for running! No summer! Ugh!

    And you're so right...you cannot remove ALL the layers in the summer! No way I'd ever go without a shirt! Just cannot do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, but it seems like we only got about a week of spring!

      Haha no me either. I am not ashamed of my body but I am just not brave enough! Tank tops are brave enough for me.

      Delete