Thursday, May 1, 2014

PR Silliness

So, like lots of blogs, I list my PRs on the side here. *points to the right* Yeah, there!

Well, I list a PR for every distance I've run whether that time is indicative of how I currently run or not. I absolutely loved being able to update with my recent 5K PR and my HM PR. I laughed at my current "5M/8K" PR because well...that race was supposed to be 10K.

But I have to admit, right now, I have the itch to run a 10 mile race.

Not because I really have the budget for more races than I'm already signed up for this year, or because there's a 10 miler I'm dying to run.

No, I want to because my 10 mile PR - the only 10 mile race I've run - is staring me in the face, only 2 minutes under my HM PR.

Now, that race was a long time ago and like I said, it's the only 10 I've run. It was my very first long distance race, and it was my 29th birthday, and 9.25 miles in, they had to stop us for almost 10 minutes to let sailboats through. (This wouldn't have happened, but they started the race almost 45 minutes late. Doh!) As a newbie a break that big at the very end meant I hobbled my way to the finish line, when I should have come in almost 20 minutes sooner.

I realize, that's not a great reason to run a race. Although, it would be a PR! (My husband thinks I should run that same race again just to have a re-do, haha!)

But I kind of want to anyway. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be a common distance!

And it did get me wondering..what's the silliest reason you've ever had to run a race? Now - don't say "just because." That's a great reason in my mind! I mean - what's the silliest justification you've used?

12 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting you are listing every PR... I only list the ones where I tried to PR, on my blog. LOL. Shh ;)

    There are TWO 10 milers on the same day in May, out here! ;) But yeah, not a very common distance!

    I am not sure I've had to justify a race to anyone... or myself. I kind of just do the ones I want to. But I suppose my silliest reason is finding any race in a town I have traveled to, just cause I want to race somewhere new :)

    I like your goals next to your race calendar! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh. Haha! You know, not listing it didn't occur to me. I will probably just...do that. That makes much more sense than paying $75 just to have a PR...haha!

      I know! Soldier Field and then one in...Kane? I think? I forget! I looked it up, but my husband was given an entry to Soldier Field 10 for his birthday by his best friend. So he has dibs on a race that day! (Boo! ...did I say that?)

      See that sounds like fun! I love reading your recaps when you're someplace new, the idea of racing every state sounds like fun!

      Delete
    2. I was thinking of this one - https://www.facebook.com/elginfoxtrot. I am not sure what county that is in! It's the first 10 miler I ever did. It's hilly and the same day as the SF10.

      Aww, thanks :)

      Delete
    3. Yeah that's the other one I was thinking of! Although apparently there is even a third. That must be 10m day! Haha. And then there aren't any that I can see until November!

      Delete
  2. I love 10 mile races, they're so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I really really like the distance, especially because for whatever reason - no matter how far I go during training - the last 5K of a half is always the hardest for me! I wish there more.

      Delete
  3. I, uh, actually never thought to list my PRs. It'd be smart, since I can never remember them off-hand (and often find myself looking them up via the blog on my phone while at a race!).

    Stopping so close to the end of a 10-miler like that would be awful! You definitely need to find a redemption 10 mile race sometime :) And that's a perfectly good reason to run a race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I list them! Easy reference for the win! Although granted for my last 5K I obviously knew going into only because I hyped it really big in my head. (That was not my best idea for going into a race though.)

      It was so brutal. I don't think I'd enjoy it now but I hadn't been running very long when that happened so it was particularly painful...literally!

      I am thinking I miiiight do the Perfect 10 again this year. I can justify it as a birthday present to myself, so I don't have to apply it to my race budget that way...right? Right. *coughs*

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure if there are any silly reasons to run a race :) But I have to admit I've been running some extra 5ks this year (one tomorrow that I just decided to do last weekend) because the local road runner club has free races for members and it's day of registration so you can decide at the last minute. Good luck with finding a 10 miler for a new PR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free races are awesome, I'd sign up for all of them! Haha!

      Delete
  5. As someone with many of the same OCD triggers as you, I'm think that's a perfectly logical reason to run a race! ;). I would be staring at that 2 min difference in the most distracting way. I think it's time for an update =D

    Excuse me for eavesdropping, but reading another comment about running in each state: That's something I so badly want to do. If I do, I would love to take a picture of something in my run, cut it out in the shape of that state, and make a collage. I know you love taking pictures on runs and thought that might be right up your ally!

    ReplyDelete