Saturday, May 24, 2014

Running with company!

So the past couple week's I have done something really, really hard for me and that I am really proud of: I joined in a couple group runs with my local chapter of Moms Run This Town.

I am super, super shy and have a really hard time meeting new people. I tend to be very introverted and have a few close friends but not a whole lot of them because, mostly, I have a hard time reaching out to new people. Theoretically, I would like to do more of it - make more friends, go out with more people, put myself out there more, but realistically, it takes me a while to psych myself up for the idea.

Stranger danger! 

But the thing about hitting your 30s is that I realized my very best friends tend to be scattered across the country right now. Literally, different states from me. It's great when I can see my best friend and we do run together, but right now, she's a state over. When she finishes her ph.d. she'll likely be half the country away. And that's true of a lot of my friends who recently finished school - they're all scattered! So I realized I was looking at the very real possibility of my husband and occasional in-office work being my only face to face adult interaction.

I'm at least reasonably confident I won't ask an adult if they need to go potty....

Umm, I'm shy, but I'm not stupid, and that's probably not healthy! (Okay, not probably.) I joined my MRTT chapter a couple months ago, but last week was the first time I finally got myself to go out for a run with them. (I told you it takes a while for me to do it!) I was so nervous, my stomach felt like I had had way too much carbonation. Crazy! But you know what? It was fun! Not that I don't love running in general but my run went by SO fast and felt so much easier with someone to talk with through it! 3 miles flew by. (Like I a good blogger, I took no pictures. Whoops.)

Today I got the chance to do my long run in a group run. It was a 5 miles out 5 miles back run - I had the stroller with me and wasn't up to the full 10 (yet - I love my stroller but the furthest I'd gone with it before today was 7 miles!), so I turned back after 4.5 miles, while 2 ladies did the full 5 and one turned back after 3. The first half of that run absolutely flew by, despite persistent rolling hills and bright sun.

The second half was SO much harder! By the time I hit 7 I was wishing I'd stuck it out the last half mile because running with people felt SO much easier. I've gotta say...I'm sold. I'll probably still be nervous for a while, but score one for running with someone to talk to and making friends!



What about you? Is it easy for you to run with new people, or hard to make friends?

10 comments:

  1. I have a hard time it seems. I don't think I am shy, I think I tend to get overwhelmed with what is going on with me, and am not a good friend and reach out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me I am just painfully shy. I need to get over it, I am not a child any more! And yet this was really hard!

      Delete
  2. The Homer picture is hysterical and I can relate. I belong to a running group, a tri group and have plenty of friends who run...but because I am slower, I never run with friends. I decided this summer to make it a goal to FIND a group of runners like me and run with them! Good job stepping out of your comfort zone...that gets harder for me as I get older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very worried I'd show up and be left in the dust but this group has such a wide range of paces.

      Stepping out of your comfort zne is really, really hard!

      Delete
  3. MRTT has literally changed my life. I took over a chapter as a co-lead at it kind of floundered until we joined up with another group. We have so many members that are intimidated to join us for events and runs, but seriously, the first time I went, I made like a half a dozen new friends. GOOD friends. I've now been a co-lead for over a year and have met so many *awesome* new friends. I moved to TX from MN about 12 years ago and had a hard time making friends because I missed my old friends so much. MRTT has really brought me out of my shell and made me a MUCH more social person. I'm so glad you took a chance on it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too - and thank you for sharing your story! I look forward to being more active within MRTT.

      Delete
  4. It was definitely hard for me when I joined my beginner running program. I'm shy but I was also new to running and worried I'd be too slow. But I ended up loving running with a group. I still like my solo runs at times too but I went ahead and signed up for another training group because it does help with those long runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! I already find myself reluctant to go for long runs by myself lol, and I've only done it with a group...uh, once. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Aww, I am so happy you went out and even more, that you had a good time!

    I have a really easy time running with new people and making new friends. I have the opposite problem - too many friends. Every time some one runs by my house I think "they could be my friend!" But I find it hard to make time for everyone now, as well as time with my husband and solo time for me .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I took the leap. It was scary though!

      Aww, everyone wants Kim time! (Even Kim!) I wish I could be that social but I have just such a hard time with it. Even going to lunch with you, I was really excited but SO nervous.

      Delete