Monday, May 5, 2014

Training plans

Okay, so Chicago training starts in a month. Not that I'm excited or nervous.

Nope, not me.

Moving on to a paragraph that isn't a total fallacy, I'm trying to decide what training plan to use.  I've narrowed it down to Hal Higdon's Novice 2 or Intermediate 1.


Novice 1:

Pros -

  • Only 1 weekend run, so I'll actually see my husband the day we do our long runs (we're both training for Chicago - we'll be able to do our long runs together sometimes but mostly we'll be on alternate days...if I run on a day he does his long run...I probably won't see him much that day)
  • Only 1 20 miler. (They scare me. ) 
  • Easier to fit around the Nearly Sane 13.1 already on my calendar - just flip two weeks and I'm good.
  • Rest day before the long run
  • It'll be my first marathon, which this plan is geared to
Cons -

  • Lower mileage - long runs around 1/2 total weekly mileage
  • Fewer days per week - I currently try to run 5-6 days a week...it drops me down to 4
  • Only 1 20 miler. (I think it's good for me.)


Intermediate 1 -

Pros -

  • Running 5 days a week
  • Mileage closer to what I want
  • 2 20s.
  • Long run is back to back with a shorter run
  • Starts off closer to where I am now than the novice plan

Cons -

  • Harder to coordinate with my husband
  • 2 20s.
  • Am I getting in over my head? This plan is meant for people who have run a marathon before. I'm still a virgin..


I feel like both are really good options for me! I am really torn. How do you pick a training plan?

12 comments:

  1. When I was running my first marathon I thought I would do int 1 cause I felt so fabulous, and totally overdid it and got stress fractures and couldn't do my marathon. Definitely do the novice. You can add more miles/days if you feel fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a voice of reason and I should totally listen. I just feel so weird going back to only running 4 days a week, I've gotten so used to running 5! But I feel good and I want to -stay- feeling good.

      Delete
    2. As you increase the LR mileage you may need that extra rest day. Just play with it and see how it goes. You don't have to be married to the plan - that will just make you bonkers! ;)

      Delete
    3. I will definitly keep it in mind and see how it goes. I'll start with Novice 1 and if I feel good during the week add an extra...but I'll be careful to listen to my body too. Thanks Kim...appreciate the wisdom, for sure.

      Delete
  2. I was flying by the seat of my pants at the beginning of my training and only switched over to the Higdon Novice 1 later in the game because of my tendon. Normally I would run on Mondays, but after the Saturday long runs got so much longer, I needed that extra day to recover so rather than rest, I made Monday a cross train day. Was it ideal? Not really. I really wish I had more time for another 20. But at this point I'm just happy to be running. :)

    I don't think that any training plan absolutely needs to be followed to a T. Just tailor it to how you're feeling! You're going to do so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have rocked it, for sure. And you're gonna own that marathon =)

      That's definitely true. These plans are almost the same though, 1 run difference, which is I think why I am so torn.

      Delete
  3. It's your first marathon, absolutely do Hal's easiest one. Your only goal should be making it to the finish line in one piece, and as long as you do what he says, you'll be fine. I'd recommend buying the book as well, lots of good advice in there (or I can lend you one of my copies, I have several lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following the leads of the more experienced runners giving me advice and going for the novice plan. I just feel weird dropping mileage but y'all are right and the last thing I want is to get hurt! I want the finish line!

      Thank you :)

      Delete
    2. I second Mo's comment about finishing in one piece. There is also the Galloway run/walk plan which claims it has a lower incident of training injuries. Good luck!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Pete. Y'all are right, I'm eyeing more than I can safely chew on this one :)

      Delete
  4. I second Kim's advice of doing the novice and modifying as you see fit as you go along. I've used modified versions of novice 1 & 2 for the half, adding more miles (to get up to 12 instead of 10) and playing around with the days. It IS your first marathon, respect the distance and all of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Y'all are right! I just knew that I hurt badly after my first half following his novice 1 plan because I felt like it didn't do enough to prepare me, not enough miles or enough long run...and I don't ever want to hurt after a race again! I felt human after my last half.

      At the same time though the long runs are gonna get a whole lot longer, and since my longest distance right now is 13.5...I have no real way to gauge how it's going to affect me.

      Delete