Saturday, May 17, 2014

Tryon Farm Trail 10k Recap

So this race is actually a 5/10/50k race; those doing the ultra ran the 10k loop 5 times. It was held in Michigan City, Indiana. (Why is there a Michigan City in Indiana?!!?)

This was a last minute addition to my race calendar thanks to the FB contest with Muddy Monk. (Their question was - why is beer the best for recovery? My answer was carbs, obviously. IT'S SCIENCE!) I was really excited to go; it sounded like fun and I've really loved the trail runs with them.

I can't decide if this was more brutal the the Frozen Five I did back in Feb with Muddy Monk or not. In the end, I think it's just different! That was hard because it was the same marching for miles - this was hard because the obstacles were so tough and varied.

When we got there, I went to check in and none of the volunteers had any clue about me being there, which didn't totally surprise me and was part of why we'd gotten there early. (The RD hadn't replied to my email.) They cleared it up quickly although when one volunteer went to give me a shirt, the other one yelled at her that there weren't any for race day registration. That hadn't been what the website said but it was fine; the shirt looked nice but this was a free race either way! They gave me my bib and sent me off to get my timing chip, with strict instructions to wear it on my ANKLE, nowhere else, if I wanted a time. Got it. I'd heard about these but most races were either gun time or bib-chip, so I'd never actually had a chip I had to return! Clearly, this warranted a picture.


Timing chip!

Anyway, the 10K got off promptly at 10am. I edged myself to the back of the pack before they let us go, figuring I'd be pretty slow. Within the first quarter mile or so, we had to run through enough water that no one had dry socks. Within the first mile, we ran through water so deep someone seeing it for the first time yelled, "Oh my god, that looks like a river!" They weren't kidding - it was knee-deep for this shortie! Within the first 3 miles, I took a nice wipe out that forced me to loosen my watch because my wrist hurt. (It's fine now, no worries! Just a little jarring, no more pain though.)

Plus, at something like 5 miles in, I got lost. Managed to get myself off the path and wandered by my lonesome for a bit. I'll admit, that was a little scary!

I will admit that the novel timing chip I was jazzed about earlier was no fun. Wet, I ended up with a raw patch on my ankle from it. Boo! No blisters or chafing on my feet, but I got chafing from my timing chip. D'oh.

Other highlights: 12+ patches of ankle deep mud you couldn't avoid, lots of winding twisty single track trails through wooded areas, a steep hill made of sand (followed by a steep sand decline that I strongly considered scooting down on my butt, but decided that was a region that didn't need sand!), and plenty of other deep water to "run" through.

The results?

Trail trophies. That was the worst scratch I got, although I landed a few apparently. I didn't notice when I got them. And those socks...sadly, they didn't make it. They're supposed to be white...

I don't actually know if the course was long or short, the path was so windy and thready and back and forth squiggling, not to mention in the woods, that my garmin threw some weird readings at me. I'm pretty sure this is a new 10K PR though - 1:10:58! EDIT: Official results posted, 1:11:02. Still a PR!

Plus, I'm all about finisher medals, and how cool is this one?


14 comments:

  1. Wow! You earned every bit of that metal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely feel like I did! It was gorgeous and wild though!

      Delete
  2. awesome job! I can't imagine running in soaked shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sure my feet would be a mess! But apparently I did a good job picking socks and applying bodyglide, because not even a hot spot, other than from the timing chip.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this one sounds so tough! Congrats on the great finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It cracks me up that your 10K PR is from such a difficult course! Hee hee. WTG!

    I ran a Muddy Monk race last year where we ran through water and tons of mud and I loved it! Your feet dry off so quick, and as long as it's not too cold, you're good. Bummer you got rubbed raw from your timing anklet though :(

    I am happy you are okay from your fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Lol! Believe me, it has occurred to me that I need to find a nice flat 10k, haha.

      I saw that, the Double Down! It actually had me really excited for the DD this year and then...it was so hot I only ran one loop, lol. Whoops.

      Thank you! Me too. When I fell I was like, oh crap, I hope my race isn't over!

      Delete
  5. Love that medal! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And isn't it neat? Very different!

      Delete
  6. That sounds like fun! Well maybe not the lost part! I'm always worried I'll get lost on a trail run and I think I'd panic! I love how you said "I strongly considered scooting down on my butt, but decided that was a region that didn't need sand!" I've had sand in my "parts" and that is no fun at all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The getting lost part was really scary - I didn't even have my phone on me because my daughter was watching a video on it to keep her busy while I ran. Yikes!

      And haha. No no no, no need for sand there!

      Delete