Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Toes and the trail

I have been arguing with myself over whether or not to post this, but hey...this is my journey. Like many it is full of ups and downs. (Much like Sunday's trail run.)

So, here goes.

I hurt myself at the race on Sunday. I didn't know it then - I knew I'd gotten blisters (on the inside balls of my feet? Wut?), which was weird because I can't remember the last time I had blisters. And I'd worn these shoes and socks on longer runs before.

But I got more than blisters...I bruised two toenails :( I am going to guess it was because this is the longest run I have ever done on a trail...I bruised the two little toenails on  my left foot. I'm sure most experienced runners know this, but I have realized - I am going to lose those two toenails. Sigh.

I have lost a nail once, when I was a very new runner who didn't know running shoes needed to be sized up. Once I sized up, no problems! So this is embarrassing.

And it hurts! I don't remember it hurting last time. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt any differently when I run or change my gait at all - at least as far as I can tell - but they are achey.

Sigh.

Did I mention, sigh? I am going to guess it's because this was a tough course and there was a whole lot of elevation change going on. Much steeper downhills than I am used to. I think, if I am going to go for longer runs on the trail, I might need to invest in some actual trail shoes with a wider toe box. Fortunately the only other long trail run I have is the Nearly Sane in August, which my husband ran last year - he said the course is nothing like the one we ran on Sunday. But I think if I do more technically challenging courses, I need to gear up appropriately.

In the mean time, I will mourn my toenails, and  my ability to wear flip flops for the summer.

Make me feel better - tell me your toe stories? I know I'm not the only runner who has had this happen!

6 comments:

  1. Be proud girl, not embarrassed--toenail loss is badass! I lost a toenail after, I don't remember which marathon, and it ended up falling off in the middle of a Pilates class. I had nowhere to put it so I hid it under my mat until after class when I rolled the mat up, someone walked by, kicked it and it shot across the studio. It was hilarious and gross all at once. They need to make Lee Press on toenails for runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I think I'd die. LOL!

      Lee Press on toenails. I could get behind it! Although I would prefer not losing them at all!

      Delete
  2. I've actually never lost a toe nail (yet, knock on wood), but I've had a couple long runs where I totally expected my toe to be black and even that hurt a lot. Just wanted to say that sucks :( Hope they stop hurting soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I didn't think I ever would again, blech! I will cross my fingers you never have to experience it. It's not horrible but I am not loving it!

      Delete
  3. I think it is your socks..my guess is these are to blame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why though, I have used these socks a lot! :( I actually think the trail was just a lot more downhill than I am used to and my toes were bumping my toebox. I also think with how many times that shoe tried to come off on a root I may not have had it tied tightly enough unfortunately.

      Delete