Thursday, June 12, 2014

Training Check-in

I haven't posted much lately. I guess I am boring! I am currently knee deep in Week 2 of training for the Chicago Marathon; all that's left this week is a rest day, a cross training day, and a long run. That means so far I have logged 30 miles towards Chicago - 19 last week and 11 so far this week! The first weeks of the program are structured so that I run T/W/Th, 3/5/3, so 11 miles during the week, and then a long run. In July that will change to 3/6/3, and then 4/7/4 by the end of July. That seems both so far and so close at the same time! And August will bring 5/8/5, that sounds intimidating!

The program says cross training on Sundays and I have been mostly trying to adhere to that...less antsy than when I first started trying, when I pretty much still was umm...ignoring at least one of the 2 rest days in the program, if not both. When the heat hit though my runs were definitely taking more out of me, so I have been persuading myself to rest a bit more. I  have been thinking about doing arm work outs though, like a dumbbell program. I am pretty sure Hal wouldn't consider it cross training - it at least doesn't make his list and from what his explanation of what cross is for, I think arm-only would be more of a non sequitur. So I was thinking of adding some kind of dumbbell work to my week on a M/W/F basis; I have an adjustable set of dumbbells I bought right before getting pregnant. And to be honest, I am ready to have my arms match the rest of my body!


...did that sound as weird as I think it did? The thing is, I have spent the past two years losing weight, absent a pause for having a baby. Two years! And I lost a lot of it. I am wearing shorts now! And tank tops! And sizes I thought were relegated to high school. And not that I couldn't wear shorts and tank tops before, but I liked to hide in my clothing. I wore stuff that was much too big because who looks at the person in big clothes? It took a lot of work to stop reaching for clothes that don't fit and to grab ones that do.

Honestly my brain has only recently caught up to the fact that my body is healthy again. So I have, logically, skipped right past acceptance and joy to irritation with my arms being the same as they were when I started this project. Because that makes so much sense, right?



In other news, I am excited nervous psyching myself out cautiously anticipating the Wholly Hell 15K this weekend. It will be my long run (only a little longer than Mr. Higdon prescribed, but in all fairness, I registered for this long before I registered for Chicago). It should be 75* by the time the race finishes, it starts at 10. It's in Wauconda this year and will be 3 loops of about 3.2...I hate loop courses, I prefer out and back because I'm always worried I'll wuss out. (Sporty Frog anyone?)  My strategy is to hydrate a LOT. And eat my honeystingers. I'll be okay right? From what I can tell the trail goes through shady patches so I don't think it'll be awful.

I think.


Anyone else running it?

7 comments:

  1. I hope the 15k goes well :) It's so interesting reading about the marathon training. I look forward to reading more! My half marathon training group starts next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is forecasting as mostly cloudy so I am much more optimistic than I was!

      Good luck with yoiur half, you will rock!

      Delete
  2. You'll be fine at Wholly Hell! Last year it was held somewhere different, and we had to go through giant puddles of water that smelled like horse poop. As long as it's not that, you'll be fine.

    For Hal's cross training day, I've always either gone for an hour walk, rode my bike, or played golf. Seems to work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eww. Yeah hopefully not that!

      Right now I have been elliptically. I am not worried about that so much, more trying not to worry that an arm workout will throw me off my plan! Hal has a plan, man.

      Delete
  3. Have a great race this weekend! I think you'll be fine. I'd be tempted to stop on a loop course as well. Especially if its hot. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me wonders if that's why I dropped on my 10k a couple weeks ago. I still think I made the right decision but there is still a small part of me wondering if I am just a wuss!

      Delete
  4. Good luck at the race!!

    And hey, cross training or not...working out the arm is hard work!!!

    You could always row, it's a good cross training exercise AND it works the arms!!!

    ReplyDelete