Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sobbing on the finish line


Does anyone else give ugly sobs as they cross the finish line? There's my husband, smiling for the camera like a good little model, and me in the middle of a mouth-open dark ugly sob of pure emotion because zomg-i'm-a-marathoner. Hah!

Back at my Lincoln Half in April I cried so hard as I crossed the finish line, because I'd had such an unexpectedly large PR, that a volunteer was actually concerned if I hurt myself. (In contrast, when I finished the Full Moon half in August and finished about where I expected, despite running really hard and in many ways running a smarter, harder, and more skilled race than in Lincoln, it felt pretty meh because it was exactly where I expected to finish.)

Please folks, tell me it ain't just me! Share your ugly-finish stories with me?


In other news, I haven't signed up for the ultra yet but I think I will shortly. My husband is pushing for me to do the marathon in Madison the following week instead so I am giving it serious thought. That's hilly though and I'm really not trained for hills. But I love my husband, so I'm thinking about it anyway!

13 comments:

  1. Madison was my redemption race the May after the year I ran Chicago. I highly don't recommend it until you have time to train for hills :( it's very challenging.

    I've only cried after my last two races cause I was so proud of my effort (and happy to be done!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done absolutely no specific hill work other than what happens to be on my normal routes. That validates my instinct on that one! My gut says the ultra is better, since I really only trained for flat.

      I guess I am just a crier! It's not even about being happy to be done. It's just..ALL THE EMOTIONS! I has them! :o

      Delete
    2. Trust your instinct! ;)

      I bet you're not the only one :)

      Delete
  2. I always think I'm going to be overcome by emotion at the finish line, and I have crying jags during some of the final training runs, but I've never come close to crying at marathons. I think I'm too dehydrated and brain dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find I can't math during runs, but apparently emotional me is quite present, haha!

      Delete
  3. It's definitely not just you! I've even teared up during races at the thought of finishing, and I got choked up several times while training for my first half, just thinking about what it'd be like to cross the finish line. I think I'd bawl if I actually made it through an entire marathon (congrats on becoming a marathoner, btw! I still need to go back and read everyone's recaps, I'm so behind!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally got choked up at different points during the race - especially at mile 14!

      And thank you! You've been busy!!

      Delete
  4. In 2011, I teared up during my marathon PR at about mile 20. I was full of endorphins and I also realized I would smash my PR. I was also tired from no sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually only cry out of frustration. I wish I got all teary at the finish line of my first marathon, but really, all I could think about was sitting down and taking my shoes off, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. I have done that too for sure. Frustration sucks.

      Delete
  6. I was going to tell you to sign up until I saw Kim's comment. :(

    ReplyDelete