Tuesday, March 10, 2015

*blows dust off the blog*

*peeks around*

....hi?

Yeah, I haven't posted in months. I have two races - Muddy Monk Chiller 5k and Polar Dash 5/10/1m - that I never recapped.

The truth is, I ran yesterday for the first time in 10 weeks. Not for lack of motivation, but because the injury to my knee was worse than I'd thought; I had a minor tear to the cartilage in my knee from the fall back in November.

The bad news - it hurt. I didn't rest enough the first time and it didn't heal fully, so after the Polar Dash, I had to come to a complete halt.

I also couldn't work out. I probably could have figured something out, but there were days I could barely walk.

I gained 10lbs while hurt - a combination of sudden abrupt lack of physical activity and well, eating all the emotions. Oops. I picked up p90x (modifying for my knee as needed) and have made good progress there; I've gained a lot of strength in the interim and that's good. It didn't help with my weight, but it did cut inches.


The good news is, I ran yesterday for the first time - only 2 miles - but it was pain free. Completely pain free. And while it wasn't my fastest run ever, I was worried with that much time off I'd be back to the couch to 5k, but while it wasn't the easiest run ever...I've had harder.

I feel encouraged. I have to modulate myself because I have this urge to run all the miles, and I know that's not a smart way to get back after an injury. I'm going to take it slow and ease in. But I feel encouraged.

11 comments:

  1. Aww man! I am sorry you tore part of your knee! Good to hear it's healing and you're gonna take it slow getting back to it! You're at the right time of year (weather-wise) to start running again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It was such a huge bummer because it was just such a fluke. Slippery mud, although I guess if I had DNF'ed it might not have been so bad. I didn't know though! :(

      But you're right - perfect season to get back into it! I love winter running but I have to admit capris and a shirt were nice to run in.,

      Delete
  2. how did I miss you were injured? I haven't really run (OK not at all) since finding out about my stress fracture and my is completely motivation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quiet about it. But I slipped at a trail race back in November. Fluky thing.


      How you feeling?

      Delete
  3. I was worried about you, you dropped outta here so abruptly! So sorry to hear about your knee. Fwiw, I had that same cartilage tear in my knee years ago from skiing (well mogul jumping, insert eyeroll). Knock wood, it's all fine. I hope yours is too! Hooray for painfree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia! I am sorry, I really did. It was like I turned my brain off when it came to running - otherwise it was really depressing.

      I am so glad to hear yours is healthy too - I have no idea what mogul jumping but I'm sure it will be interesting to google. Such a painful injury, I'd never had anything like it!

      Delete
  4. I was just thinking about you the other day! I'm so glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was still following you on facebook, but actually reading running blogs kind of got shoved out my brain. Whoops. But yes, back!

      Delete
  5. I was just thinking about you the other day! I'm so glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! That was tough, but you did the right thing by pointing out the pain in your knees and identifying the details of the damage. Glad to know that you are steadily going back to your running, but you should constantly monitor the condition of your knees, so as not to exacerbate your condition. Thanks for sharing that, Heather! All the best to you!

    Mark Wallace @ Chiropractic Memphis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, nice to meet you. Thank you for the advice, that is definitely my goal. I have no wish to experience that again.

      Delete