Monday, April 20, 2015

Whoops

Has it really been a month since I last posted? How did that happen?! I guess I got out of the blogging habit. I'd like to get back in it though because honestly, I really like it. Even if no one else reads it, it's good for me to process my thoughts.

Running has been going well. I'm not where I was before I hurt my knee, I'm slower and my base isn't where it was. But I'm fairly optimistic - I did manage to PR a 5K (by 5 seconds, so not huge, and not the sub-27 I'd been training for, but life is a continuum, right?), and my long run is back up to 7 miles. The last time I got my long run up to 7 miles I was still gallowalking, and while I still think that's a fabulous method, I love that I was able to run the whole thing without walking...even though it was like 30 degrees hotter than I was used to that day and no clouds in sight.

(And speaking of PRs, I need to recap the races I've run while I fell off the blogging wagon. Those would be the last of the Muddy Monk series last year, the Chiller 5k, the Polar Dash Yeti Challenge, and the 2015 Egg Shell Shuffle.)

It does have me thinking about goals, now that I know my knee injury - while it's still got some strengthening to do after months of being babied to let it heal - is no longer bothered by running. I know most people probably set goals in January, but I wasn't sure where I'd be then, so here I am!



  1. Marathon - I'm going after this sucker again. I want a sub 5. And I very strongly think I can do it. I'm tentatively eyeing the Prairie State Marathon in October; the Chicago Marathon was great last year, but it's expensive, and Prairie State is in my backyard. 
  2. 10k - I want a sub 60. I've gone sub 30 3 times in 5ks and was easily on pace to blow sub 30 away on a fourth course last year had it not been short - sub 60 should be doable here once I have a better mileage base.
  3. 5k - I want a sub 29. At the recent Egg Shell Shuffle, after only having been back to running for 3 weeks, I ran a 29:50. I actually think this goal may be too easy and last year after weekly speedwork I really wanted a sub 27. I don't know if that is going to be realistic or not, so I'm going to reassess this as the season progresses. 
I'm excited right now. The running world seems so full of possibility. I felt so lost without running - being able to run again has been...incredible. 

2 comments:

  1. It's not that hard to fall off the internet :) Glad to hear the knee is feeling better. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to fall off than climb back on, apparently. Thank you! Good to hear from you too, I'm subscribed to your blog and it's nice to be getting posts from you again.

      Delete