Tuesday, June 2, 2015

And so it begins!

...marathon training, that is.

I'm feeling weirdly introspective; yesterday was my first official run for the Milwaukee Lakefront training cycle. It was a gorgeous day for a run, an easy 3 miles in mid 50s...perfect start, especially since it was June. I kept it slow since I'd just run my long run the day before and just enjoyed it to the fullest...it's funny to be here because last year I didn't think I'd want to do this again. I was so frustrated with the way things played out that I was like, nope not after "wasting" last year. But a year later, I know the truth - I'm too competitive with myself not to want to see how I can really do when it's just me and my training.

I feel a lot smarter going into this; I feel stronger and fitter, too. Maybe a little wiser, since I know that I'm not going to like all of this. I know there are going to be hard runs and slow runs and tough runs and runs that make me want to quit.


NSFW, but I think this is kind of gonna be my anthem. It's a weird song, but it goes with "Embrace the suck" right?

But I know there are going to be great runs and surprising runs and beautiful runs, that I am going to prove I have a deeper well to dig from than I know. I know the prize is worth it.

Bring it on, Marathon - I am ready!

5 comments:

  1. Will you be running MKE solo? :)

    Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Which is scary, but it's funny that it's scary because I did the 50k by myself. We talked about my husband doing it to but I told him if he registered I'd feel like I needed to run it with him, and he's made it clear he won't really train so we'd end up at his pace. I want at least one marathon where I can see what my best is.

      Delete
    2. Good. I was hoping that would be your answer ;) MKE is a great course. You'll love it. Watch out for the camber in the road - that'll get your hip flexors at the end.

      Delete
    3. I'm a little regretful because when we first started running he was the stronger runner and I wanted so badly to be fast enough to keep up with him so I could run races with him. And now that I can...he can't! Which is kind of a bummer. But after how I ended up feeling last year, I want closure! Lol! The summer was such a big investment. I don't feel nice saying it but I feel like I didn't get to cash in on my training the way I'd pictured.


      Ooooh, good to know. I have no idea how to deal with that - I'll have to look into it! Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  2. It's definitely a journey, and there will be ups and downs - but you're strong, you'll power through it all! Good luck! Don't ever stop believing in yourself!

    ReplyDelete