Monday, June 8, 2015

Milwaukee Marathon Training Week 1 - Recap!

I can't believe week 1 is over and on the books already. I feel like this week flew by - I kind of hope the rest of training does too, but at the same time, where did the week go?!

Here's how my week went down -

Monday 6/1 - 3m @ 11:04p. in 55*. A perfect day for a perfect recovery run after my long run the day before.

Tuesday 6/2 - 5m @ 11:08p in 68*. It's amazing how much warmer this felt, and I got to do it in full sunlight, too! I figure hot runs are good for acclimating for the rest of the summer...right? This was slow, but I finished feeling strong and like I could go a few more miles, so called it a win.

Wednesday 6/3 - 3m @ 10:44p in 70*. Eep, woke up late and almost didn't get this run in - ran hard and still only managed a 10:44p!

Thursday 6/4 - rest!

Friday 6/5 - I was supposed to run 5 today, but I felt off and decided to skip it. I decided to run Saturday and long Sunday, skipping cross. Just not my day!

Saturday 6/6 - 3m @ 10:41 in 71*. Hot and sunny! Felt okay - decided to keep it at 3.*

Sunday 6/7 - 8m @ 11:31p in 81* (and 90% humdity). Who decides to run their long run at 80+ degrees?! But my husband slept late and I couldn't get out while it was under 70 and rainy, so it was gut it out or skip. I didn't want to skip my first long run, so here I am. Five letters for this run - B-R-U-T-A-L. Most of this run was around 11, but the first mile was 12 1/2 and my pace just never caught up. To be honest as much as I feel funny this was so slow, I am just glad I made it through. I don't think I could have gone another mile and I definitly couldn't have gone any faster - the last mile was 10:55 and that was definitely pushing it!




So there's week 1 - I ran 22 miles, rested twice, and skipped cross training. Oh well - onwards and upwards!



*I have been torn between Hal Higdon's Beginner 2 and Intermediate 1. On the one hand, I'm ysed to running 5-6x a week. On the other hand, Intermediate 1 gets really high mileage for me and this is only my second marathon training cycle so part of me wanted to see what I could do on Beginner 2. In the end I decided I'd compromise and sort of follow neither - I'll still run the day before my long run like Intermed 1 recommends, but I'll cut the mileage down a bit. I feel good about this call and hopefully time proves me right!

2 comments: