Monday, July 27, 2015

Grabbing opportunity

So technically, the marathon I'm training for is still 10 weeks away - Milwaukee Lakefront is on 10/4/15.

But an opportunity I can't say no to has come up, I'm seizing it - I'm going to Alaska on 8/16 to run the Alaska marathon.

I know, I know. I'm not a spontaneous person and I will only be about 5/8 through my training by then - barely over half way. That weekend I'm due to run 18 miles according to Hal Higdon - not 26.2. But you know what? I may never have another chance to go to Alaska, or if I do it may be long past the time I'm still able to run marathons, or run at all.

Looking at the time limit, if I run my 18 and have to walk the remaining 8.2, I will still make the time cut off. So I'm going for it. (I'm adjust my training a bit, of course - this past weekend was supposed to be 15 and I ran 16; this weekend is supposed to be a cutback, but I'm going to do 18 - then cutback next week, and the week after that is..well...it's Alaska! EEP!)

#alaskabound

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a fabulous opportunity! Of course you have to do it! Excited for you! It's so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am so excited, it was just something I could not say no!

      Delete
  2. THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!!! What a cool opportunity! I've always wanted to go to Alaska, so please take lots of pictures and blog about it :)

    I think your plan to run your 18 and walk the rest sounds good, and it'll let you enjoy all of the beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - tons of pictures and at least a few blog posts!

      I am hoping it works out. I mean, it should, and if nothing else it'll be a good 20-30 degrees cooler than what I've been running in!

      Delete
  3. This reads like an April Fools joke, but based on the comments, I am guessing it's true? Good luck!!!! I will be there in June and am hoping to find a race to do :)

    ReplyDelete