Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Pokemon Go go go!

So Pokemon Go came out last week and like a lot of people, my family and I are ob-sess-ing. (Most of us. My husband thinks the concept is neat but doesn't dig the critters. Fair enough. The kids and I are geeking out though.)

I mean, I grew up in the 90s. The idea of leaving my house and finding pokemon out in the wild was the stuff of dreams. It's something only good fanfic writers even really got to imagine. And now? I mean man - we got this!


Plus, we can take awesome silly pictures like this:



How is that NOT fun?

And even better, it's getting people moving. Even people with anxiety and depression who often find it challenging to leave the house. Beyond it being such a fun concept to find things in the real world through your phone, I'm a huge fan of anything that gets people moving. Seriously, in a culture of couch potatoes, I absolutely love that this game rewards you for moving! Some of the eggs in the game only hatch once you walk 10k - that may not be much to runners, but to a lot of Americans that's intense. I'm such a huge fan.

What I'm not a huge fan of is the hate. While the game isn't without its dangers - watch where you walk, not your screen, and for goodness sake use common sense (being aware of your surroundings while outside is something we should do no matter what we're doing, pokemon or not) - it has some haters who just can't seem to stand it. For whatever reason, they don't like it. And that's fine - I am of the mindset that I can like something you don't and you can like something I don't and we can still co-exist peacefully, even if you're wrong. (Just kidding!) I don't have a problem with that. I am a big fan of "And it harm none do as ye will."

But some people are awful threatened by it, to the point where they're ridiculing people who play, actively encouraging people not, and when that doesn't work, trying to shame them into avoiding it. "Grow up, pokemon is for little kids." "Grown men who play pokemon should turn in their man cards." "This has to stop, people are walking around everywhere."



And that I have a huge problem with. First, the gender argument is ludicrous - completely. Plenty of men play pokemon, the games, the cards, and maybe they even watch the show. If you don't want to play, fine, but you don't get to start using making the argument that something you don't like isn't manly because that necessarily implies that manly is better than the alternative. That automatically defines those who are feminine or androgynous as less and come on people - it's 2016. You can do better than that. Second, why do people feel the need to lessen other people's happiness? If you don't like it, don't play. Other people do like it. Are you so threatened by someone else's joy that you have to demean it? Why would you make fun of people for playing a video game? Does it hurt you?

I'm not sure where this is from - if you know I'd love to credit them.


Come on people. Spread joy - not grumpiness!

Unless it's grumpy cat. Always spread grumpy cat.


2 comments:

  1. Haters gonna hate. No matter what it is. I think there's a bigger, overarching theme of just not accepting people for who they are, what they like to do, etc. if it's different than what we prefer, etc. And that's a shame. What fun would life be if everyone was the same?

    I think I'm a few years older than you, so I just missed Pokemon in the 90's. I mean, I remember hearing about it, but think I was too old (and teen angsty, ha!) to watch the cartoon or play it or whatever (but my husband who is 5 years younger did!). So I have no idea what it's all about, but like you, I think it's great that it's getting people outside and moving! We've been noticing that the neighborhood kids haven't been outside at all this summer... until this week! So I think as long as people are careful and watch where they're going, what's the harm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a much more succinct way to say it. It's definitely a shame.

      Delete